The Department of Computer Science and Engineering is functioning at Govt.
College of Engineering Kannur since its inception in 2001. It started with an
intake of 30 for UG program and in 2011, the intake was increased to 60.
Hence the Department currently runs a batch of UG a per year. The total
students strength is 264. Students are so successful that they secure good
grades... >> Read More
A centre of excellence, in the field of Computer Science and Engineering education and research, which extends its appreciated services to the industry and society.
To develop engineers with excellent analytic, design and implementation skills, who can expertise themselves as computer professionals, research engineers, entrepreneurs or as managers, while fulfilling their ethical and social responsibilities, in a globally competitive environment.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
By the completion of Computer Science program the student will have following Program specific outcomes.
1. Foundation of Computer System: Ability to understand the principles and working of computer systems. Students can assess the hardware and software aspects of computer systems.
2. Foundations of Software development: Ability to understand the structure and development methodologies of software systems. Possess professional skills and knowledge of software design process. Familiarity and practical competence with a broad range of programming language and open source platforms.
3. Foundation of mathematical concepts: Ability to apply mathematical methodologies to solve computation task, model real world problem using appropriate data structure and suitable algorithm.
4. Applications of Computing and Research Ability: Ability to use knowledge in various domains to identify research gaps and hence to provide solution to new ideas and innovations
Within a short span of time after graduation, the graduates shall :
1. Be employed as computer science professionals beyond
entry-level positions or be making satisfactory progress in
2. Be able to route their talents in to post graduate and
research programs, promoting remarkable advancements in
3. Have peer-recognized expertise together with the ability to
articulate that expertise as computer science professionals.
4. Apply good analytic, design, and implementation skills
required to formulate and solve computer science problems.
5. Demonstrate that they can function, communicate,
collaborate and continue to learn effectively as ethically and
socially responsible computer science professionals.
Head of the Department
Non Teaching Staffs
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering has one of the best facilities. It has a Central Computing Lab in the Main Block of the College, supported by 4 specialised labs in the Department Lab Block. The Association maintains a website, which provides a hub for the students activities and resources.
CENTRAL COMPUTING LAB
The centralized computer center provides sufficient computing facility for the students and staff of Department of Computer Science & Engineering. The Lab has 72 nodes connected wirelessly operating on D-Link network at a speed of 20Mbps. Students can utilize computers running on the latest hardware and Operating Systems. The lab is adequately supported by peripherals like DMP, Printers, Scanners and more. The Central Lab is open from 8am to 8pm throughout the year. The systems are equipped with latest software necessary for the students which include PowerBuilder, Sybase, Visual studio beside AutoCAD and Matlab. The centre is not only a workstation for the students to sharpen their computer skills, but also is a hub of guidance & support for the students taking up projects in the software field.
72 Computer systems, server, UTM,100 Mbps internet
connectivity,Un interupted network supply,24*4 port
O.S : Windows, Linux
Chairs,Interactive White Board,Audio
books,journals and magazines
PRINCIPLES OF PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES LAB
36 Computer Systems,Work
station,LCD projector,WAP,Internet facilities , (24*2 port
JAVA, C, C++, Python, LISP
NETWORK AND INFORMATION SECURITY LAB
The Network and Paradigms Lab provide specialized care for the students’ skills in Networking and Information Security. The lab has qualified lab assistants.
The students passing out from GCEK are not restricted to the programming languages, but are provided with the best experiences in Hardware and Embedded Systems area. Interfacing, hardware trouble shooting and much more is explored here.
Internet Facilities,(24*2 Port Switch), Public
Addresing System,Digital Ic Trainer Kit,Signal
Generatior,Duel,Epga ,BASED Development Board And Accessories
Mode,Digital Stores Oscilloscope Power Supply,Pic 18 F 4550 ,
DEV.BOARD,INTERFACING Card(Dac),Ic For Steper Motor,Ic
Adc,80196 Micro Controller Kit,89 C52 Dev.Board,Portable Digital
Pa System,Portable Pa Wireless Meeting Amplifier,Lcd Mm Projector,Pa System, FPGA Board
The Department always uphold a research culture, in parallel with the
overall teaching-learning process. The outcome is the papers published by
the students and faculty in National and International conferences and
journals. Some of the research areas of focus are :
Web & Social Network Mining
The Computer Science and Engineering Department has the most active associations in the College.
The Esperanza 2K11 is a national level technocultural fest to be held in GCEK through September 16 - 18. The events marks the start of
10thAnniversary Celebrations of the Department.
The event starts of with technical contest for the brilliant brains across the country. The event then spreads its wings over the night with fabulous color works by laser shows and dancing beauties.The next 2 days, the students are trained by Mr.Sunny Vaghela, famous for his work in solving Mumbai Terror Case. The ethical hacking workshop proves to be the heart and soul of the event.
COLORS OF GCEK
The official campus blog of GCEK was launched in September 2010 under the title Colors of GCEK. This blog aims at providing a common place for the students to share their creative ideas, as well as providing the latest information on useful topics, and general campus news reported by students. So far a number of students from different batches have contributed to the campus blog.
Colors of GCEK is available at: http://www.colorsofgcek.com/
The THREADS – the department wall magazine updated frequently keeps the students in touch with the latest tech developments and the Association activities. The editorial team is headed by the Head of the Department.
CompScizzz - the Department Newsletter was released on March 10, 2011. The newsletter reported the National Level Technical Fest - Infinity, along with the latest developments in the Department. It also reported the Achievements of the Students.